PDF Auto Converter For iOS/Android Applications
- Technologies and platforms: Native iOS, Android development, PHP, MySQL
- Effort: 4 man-months
Our Customer (one of the biggest creators and distributors of educational materials in our country neighbor) had an idea to:
- Create around 6 hundreds of schoolbooks (300 for iPhone and 300 for Android) as standalone mobile applications from his digital materials (PDF files).
- Develop “iOS/Android applications store” to sell these schoolbooks.
To simplify the development process, decrease some risks in estimation and find the easiest way we divided the development process into three stages:
- First stage was a research. It was clear for us that creating in a manual way hundreds of mobile applications from PDF files will take a lot of time. So in order to decrease project budget we agreed with customer to develop special framework for iOS and Android platforms, which will automate converting PDF files into mobile application. A few developers started to find the most appropriate PDF viewer and then tried to develop the initial mockup to compare quality of presenting the learning data - texts, formulas, live links inside the text, video tutorials + multimedia.
- Second stage was developing fully functional and stable prototype (based on chosen PDF viewer) which would be used as single Framework for each platform to automate the process of creating hundreds of standalone mobile applications.
- Third stage was developing fully functional “iOS/Android store applications” and server side for them. Applications have a list of proposed schoolbooks, user profile with list of available purchased schoolbooks and license terms for them.
The most important part of the project was also providing security of using purchased schoolbooks. It was connected with the ability to protect all purchased schoolbooks (by school or exact students) from unauthorized access by third parties and using purchased products by passing license (for example using single license for group of students and etc.). To solve this issue, project team developed special server method for sending unique ID of device to the Store applications and creating and providing special unique ID of schoolbook for this device.
After passing all the stages our Customer got fully working software set consisting of: Automation Framework for iOS and Android for fast creating schoolbooks and fully working iOS/Android store application to sell those schoolbooks.
We have tested our Automation Framework on tens of PDFs and in average it reduced time to create one schoolbook mobile application by 20 hours. Considering customer has 3 hundred of PDFs we helped customer to go faster on market and saved him a lot of his budget: around 12,000 hours for converting PDFs (6,000 hours(300*20) for each Android and iPhone platform) into schoolbook mobile application.
THE MAIN PROJECT AIM
Providing the possibility to create hundreds of schoolbooks as mobile applications in the shortest terms and sell them via iOS/Android platforms in a safe way was successfully reached.