Electronic Document Management System
Easy and fast access to information is the key point of document management. This project task was to develop the document management system for a big enterprise. Its main aim is to raise document management effectiveness, speed of processing and information accessibility with high security and collaboration level. As a result we have developed an enterprise document management system (EDMS) with users and user groups’ management, security and access permissions, work areas (libraries), versioning and many other useful options of the document creation, editing and control.
- Technologies and platforms: SharePoint 2010 Office Server, C# 3.5, SharePoint COM, Ajax, jQuery, XML, XSLT
- Effort: 220 man-months
- Duration: 9 years
Our NET developers have developed the document management system for our customer from Denmark that offers a rich functionality for document capturing, processing and storing.
All documents added into the EDMS are registered with the help of “online forms”, which extract data from the document and its attributes to be used for various manipulation purposes in future (editing, versioning, search, etc.). This helps to make document management faster.
Upon registration into the system, each document is scanned and indexed using such information as ID, Author, Date and other values that will make the document search and access correct for the organizational needs throughout document lifecycle. Note that system scans the whole document text to make a key list for future search for information and other manipulations. Workflow automation is the key in time-saving efforts.
Indexing contributes to the data storing and organization of the documents repository using document information like document type, author name, due date for the document deletion. A well-organized document database helps the user search for documents. Other ways of documents organization include using folders, tags, stack types, etc.
Enterprise document management system has the versioning system with the following options:
- Audit trails and document tracking of edits and changes to documents
- Version Comments
- Version View History (view log)
- Review and approval history of each version of a document
- Access to all prior versions of a document and rollback to previous versions
The following document processing options are available:
- The documents can be assigned, routed, activated, and managed through system-controlled rules that mirror business operations and decision processes.
- The EDMS workflow tools automate processes: sending a document to a specific user, populating a field, adding a tag, sending an e-mail. You can setup a schedule for certain manipulations.
- The system reports the history of documents and workflow (each access to an item, check-in, and check-out of a document, any changes to permissions and settings, the time of deletion and person who does manipulations).
- It is possible to scan a document with butches using special sheet separator to determine document breaks and decrease the time needed to stop and start the scanning process.
- In the EDMS, the collaboration allows documents to be retrieved and worked on by an authorized user. The workspace allows multiple users to view and modify (or markup) a document at the same time in a collaboration session. The resulting document is viewable in its final shape while also storing the markups done by each individual user during the collaboration session.
All documents are stored in the repository which may include many libraries. The EDMS provides automated deletion and/or archival functions of documents that have expired based on some user defined criteria. The EDMS provides the reports on document flow statistics with the help of metadata based reporting option.
Document management system security and authentication control include the following features:
- Supports logging of login and access information
- Users can be authenticated from Active Directory or Form Based Authentication
- AD or FBA users and groups can be imported and synchronized
- Role-based security
- Users and user groups are subject to individual security permissions for folders and documents
- Security Inheritance for folders and documents
- Conflicting rights are resolved based on standard SP Security rules.