What is an API
- “APIs are just 'glue' that join bits of software together”.
- “The term APIs can mean many different things. Sometimes it means hardware APIs, or the Java API. Right now when you hear the term API, it probably means web API or an API built using REST”.
- "The API is a way to build connections".
- "An API is a specification of the dialect that computer programs or their components use to exchange data with each other or with the hardware they are running on. One program uses an API to tell another program “ask for this, and you will get this in return”.
- "An API is a piece of code that allows different applications and databases to communicate and share data".
- "In the simplest terms, an API is a set of code conventions which programmers can use to interact with an external data source or web service".
The Business Benefits Of Using APIs
- Integration with third party apps, which provide real-time functionality or manage computations, without needing to write your own complex algorithms (this is true for e-commerce, finance and other industries).
- Empower your lead generation or CRM apps with social insights (by matching email addresses against social media profiles).
- Integration web/mobile apps with a cloud storage of files.
- Integration mobile apps with a remote backend to push files and retrieve data.