Our Client is an Israel-based startup. The company offers an innovative chatbot-building PaaS (Platform as a Service) with an easy interface to create new chatbots with no deep coding skills and also a Store with ready-to-use chatbots. This Store has a great variety of chatbots or chatbots’ “templates” (design+script/scenario) for almost every industry (Finance/Insurance, E-commerce, Healthcare, Education, IoT and so on). The platform’s users can modify the existing chatbots' templates and publish them to a variety of high-traffic channels such as Facebook Messenger, Skype, Slack, Viber, Telegram Messenger, and others.
Our Client asked us to augment his offshore outsourcing development team in order to create new chatbots ( Ordering & Loyalty Program Chatbot, Weather Forecast Chatbot) for his Store. He also needed to add 2 testing specialists to the project in order to provide a high quality of the platform and stable chatbots’ functionality.
Our development process
To start the creation of the Ordering & Loyalty Program Chatbot, our team analyzed the market and found some innovative ways to use bots for business purposes. Belitsoft always focuses on the best practices and latest trends, so we decided to follow the Starbuck’s example, but create a chatbot that not only receives orders from customers but also invites them to take part in a loyalty program.
Overall, our work consisted of 5 parts:
- Creating a scenario (a set of interactions) for the chatbot;
- Adding arithmetic operations to the price calculation;
- Adding logic and arithmetic operations to the bonuses calculation;
- Improving the scenario and logic of the bot, adding new interactions;
- Testing the chatbot.
Thereby, our team created the scenario, proposed it to the Client and started chatbot’s creation right after his approval. Our team successfully managed to create and test the chatbot. Now the users of our Client’s cloud-based platform can easily use this template, modify it according to their business needs and publish a ready-made chatbot on their websites or other public channels.
Stages of the Weather Forecast Chatbot development:
- Our developer successfully connected 2 APIs (the Client’s web app’s API (Laravel) and the weather forecast web service’s API) using JSON API.
- Our designer prepared the mockups to show weather forecasts in a user-friendly manner in the PNG format.
- Our developer used the HTML2PDF and ImageMagick libraries to convert HTML to PNG.
- Testing the chatbot.
Our testing process
The project work was divided into 2 phases:
- Testing planning and creation of the checklist;
- Implementation of testing.
Our team organized the project work as follows: one tester is responsible for the website testing, and the other – for testing the user area and chatbots’ functionality.
Our testers analyze the Client’s requirements, plan a testing process, create checklists and test cases for the most complex scenarios, perform positive test cases (when chatbots are being created, changed and filled with content) and negative test cases.
Because the project is big and evolves rather fast (new features are constantly being added), the start of the third project phase seems to be obvious and will possibly include regression testing, bug fix testing, and new functionality testing.
Our communication approach
Our team uses JIRA as a bug-tracking system. That makes the process of testing transparent and objective because every team member, as well as our Client, can access the project anytime and monitor our testing process in real time.
In addition, our team uses Skype to support active communication with the Client that increases our efficiency.
1. We created the Ordering & Loyalty Program Chatbot that stimulates people to make an order and get bonuses for their purchase. The main functions of the bot:
- Extract a customer’s name;
- Propose the menu;
- Calculate the cost of the order (add more items to the order or cancel the last added item);
- Calculate bonuses for the purchase (if a customer saves up 100 bonuses, the bot proposes a free lunch that can be added to the order; the bot also automatically checks if a user has enough bonuses to get a free lunch);
- Receive the order and propose a delivery method (the bot extracts a user’s address if a user chooses delivery).
2. We created the Weather Forecast Chatbot that provides a weather forecast using the API of a weather forecast web service. The main functions of the bot:
- Show today’s weather (temperature, max temperature per day, min temperature per day, cloud cover, wind speed, pressure, humidity);
- Show the weather for the next 1-5 days (for a certain day with a 3-hour forecast);
- Show the weather for the next 5 days (a summary table with a 3-hour forecast).
3. Both chatbots were tested manually using positive and negative test cases.
Within 4 months, our testers found 550 bugs and 482 bugs (88%) were resolved by the development team.
The website, user area, and chatbots’ functionality were successfully tested in the required environments:
- Cross-browser testing: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Safari;
- Cross-platform testing: Windows (PC), macOS (Mac mini, iPad), Android 7 (Tablet Google Nexus 10, Mobile Phone Samsung Galaxy S6), iOS 9, 10, 11 (iPhone 5, 6);
4. The main parts of the chatbot-building platform were enhanced:
- Our testers identified the problem with the auto-save option during functionality testing. It didn’t work correctly, therefore users were losing much info. Some other problems were also identified and fixed.
- All the non-working pop-ups and buttons were fixed, and fields’ verification was set up. The website became highly responsive and user-friendly after the bugs, discovered during usability testing, had been fixed.
- The external interface of the user area (a control panel) was improved, and chatbots’ display was corrected after GUI testing.
Today, our chatbots are widely used and help the customers of our Client to deliver the best possible messaging experience to the end-users.
Our Clients' Feedback
They use their knowledge and skills to program the product, and then completed a series of quality assurance tests. We were working in an agile way with them. Belitsoft performed very well throughout our project. We are definitely looking at Belitsoft as a long-term partner.
Service Delivery Director at Crimson (United Kingdom)
I highly recommend Belitsoft for website design and development. We were up against a tight deadline to launch the project. The work was delivered on time and within budget! I will continue working with Belitsoft as a valued partner for our web development!
Program Administrator at UC Berkeley (United States)
We have worked with Belitsoft team over the past few years on projects involving much customized programming work. They are knowledgeable and are able to complete tasks on schedule, meeting our technical requirements. We would recommend them to anyone who is in need of custom programming work.
Main Partner at Hathway Tech (United States)
Belitsoft company is able to make changes instantly. One of our internal engineers has commented about how clean their code is. Belitsoft seems to know what they're doing, which I appreciate.
Co-Founder at HOWCAST MEDIA (United States)
It was a great pleasure working with Belitsoft software development company. New requirements and adjustments were implemented fast and precisely. We can recommend Belitsoft and are looking forward to start a follow-up project.
Deputy Head of Division at Fraunhofer FIT (Germany)
Belitsoft company has been able to provide senior developers with the skills to support back end, native mobile and web applications. We continue today to augment our existing staff with great developers from Belitsoft.
CEO at Apollo Matrix (United States)
Belitsoft company delivered dedicated development team for our products, and technical specialists for our clients' custom development needs. We highly recommend to use this company if you want the same benefits.
Managing Director at Key2Know A/S in 2012 (Denmark)
We approached BelITsoft with a concept, and they were able to convert it into a multi-platform software solution. Their team members are skilled, agile and attached to their work, all of which paid dividends as our software grew in complexity.
COO at Regenerative Medicine LLC (United States)
Having worked with Belitsoft as a service provider, I must say that I'm very pleased with the company's policy. Belitsoft guarantees first-class service through efficient management, great expertise, and a systematic approach to business. I would strongly recommend Belitsoft's services to anyone wanting to get the right IT products in the right place at the right time.
CEO at Moblers (Israel)
If you are looking for a true partnership Belitsoft company might be the best choice for you. They have proven to be most reliable, polite and professional. The team managed to adapt to changing requirements and to provide me with best solutions. I strongly recommend Belisoft.
Director at ShowCast Limited (Germany)
I expected and demanded a lot of you at Belitsoft company, but you exceeded my expectations. You acted pro-actively, challenged me at the right moments. Thanks!"
CEO at Ticken B.V. (Netherlands)
We have been working for over 10 years and they have become our long-term technology partner. Any software development, programming, or design needs we have had, Belitsoft company has always been able to handle this for us.
СEO at ElearningForce International (United States/Denmark)
Belitsoft has been the driving force behind several of our software development projects within the last few years. This company demonstrates high professionalism in their work approach. They have continuously proved to be ready to go the extra mile. We are very happy with Belitsoft, and in a position to strongly recommend them for software development and support as a most reliable and fully transparent partner focused on long term business relationships.
Global Head of Commercial Development L&D at Technicolor