Not fulfilling the legal requirements can bring consequences ranging from fines and lost money to personal injury and even death. This is why businesses in all kinds of industries from Healthcare to Financial should take compliance training seriously. eLearning is the most advanced form of delivering such training, so in this article, we will take a look at the software that fits it the best.
Types of the Compliance Training Management Software
Although there are a lot of ways to learn, compliance training is generally done using a learning management system (LMS). It is an application that stores, plays, and manages learning content. LMSes are the most popular type of learning software on the market. Examples include JoomlaLMS, Blackboard, Moodle, etc.
They have all the necessary features for the task, there are a lot of alternatives to choose from ( including custom-built systems), and you can get one for pretty much any budget level you have.
The second option is a newcomer to the market. Learning experience platforms (LXPs or LEPs) are growing in popularity among large companies like Microsoft, SAP, or Comcast. The main defining feature of an LXP is artificial intelligence that curates content according to each learner’s needs and preferences to get better learning outcomes. For details, see our dedicated article about these new systems.
LXPs are more advanced and are great for continuing education that is often legally required (e.g. in the cases of medical professionals or aviation maintenance technicians). However, they are also more costly and thus are a better fit for larger corporations. Moreover, LXPs can be overkill if the only thing you need is training newcomers to comply with all the legal requirements.
Who Needs Compliance Training Software
This matters the most in heavily-regulated domains like Defense, Healthcare, or Finances. However, there are many other industries that have their internal standards. Moreover, certain compliance training measures (e.g. anti-harassment) can fit pretty much any company.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of industries that can benefit from compliance training software:
- Oil and Gas.
- Real Estate.
Features of the Compliance Training Management Software
Besides the obvious (playing the learning content and quizzes), this is what you need in your system to ensure that compliance training can happen.
- Customizable Reporting. Compliance training without accurate reports is just checking the box. Common metrics like “completion rates” don’t cut it either. You need the compliance LMS to have flexible reporting so you can measure the stats that matter and draw valid conclusions from them.
- Grouping/Role-based Access. Some compliance training programs, like the above mentioned anti-harassment, apply to all departments. Others are job-specific. Having an option to immediately assign the person relevant training according to their department would save a lot of time in the long run.
- Notifications. Reminding people that their training program needs completion or that there are new assignments.
- Certification. This can be a step in achieving the “reasonable compliance training program” and pretty much a must in the case of commercial compliance training courses.
- Standards compliance. This goes in hand with the first item in this list. Support for SCORM or xAPI is important for analytics, as well as for the longevity of your content.
A few compliance training projects that Belitsoft delivered for the customers.
Custom LMS for Aviation Compliance Training
Aviation is one of the most regulated domains and for good reason. So when we got a request to make a training application for it, we knew that we had to be extra attentive.
The customer - an EASA Part 147 approved Maintenance Training Organization - had a lot of experience providing classroom-based training for both individuals and businesses. Now they wanted to digitize the entire experience.
Here’s what we had to consider:
- Security. The system would work with important personal and corporate data which had to be protected.
- Flexibility. While we decided to go with an LMS that had most of the necessary features already in place, the system had to be customizable enough to include the extras.
- Familiarity. The project should’ve been based on an LMS that we knew well. This would ensure the most efficient use of the customer’s budget and the shortest time-to-market.
The system has been up and running for a few years now. It has more than 250 courses, supports up to 10.000 concurrent learners, and automatically updates the certificates people receive in the case of required continuing education.
Custom LMS for Compliance Training for Brokers
The customer here specializes in providing continuing education for a certain type of brokers. According to the law, people in this profession must take regular refresher courses to continue practicing. This is where the client would come in with their training system.
- Compliance with the regulations. The government had specific requirements for training organizations and learning systems for this field. Our client’s company was fully compliant with them and so had to be the software.
- Support for multiple content formats. The courses included videos, webinars, and other ways of delivering educational information. The new LMS had to support them all.
- Flexibility. The system wasn’t to be built from scratch. Rather, it was to be based on an existing LMS that would be modified to fit the client’s specifications.
As a result, the new training system covers the entire USA. It processes about 6.000 licenses per month and earns around 1 million dollars in the same time period..
Custom LMS for Compliance Training for Health Care Providers
A British dentist was both an accomplished medical professional and a popular teacher, who ran a Master’s program and lectured at the university. To make the teaching more convenient for his students and more profitable for himself, he decided to increase his digital presence and asked us for help.
The courses of our customer had two components: theory and practice. The latter was held in a number of medical centers and under the supervision of experienced doctors. The former has been digitized entirely and converted to a year-long online course.
In the end, the product had:
- Support for fully online, offline, and blended learning formats;
- Document library with additional materials for the users;
- Certification for those who passed the course;
- Intermediate quizzes to test the progress.
The product became a success both academically and commercially. The program soon expanded to include the USA, Spain, and France.
Rate this article
I expected and demanded a lot of you at Belitsoft company, but you exceeded my expectations. You acted pro-actively, challenged me at the right moments. Thanks!
CEO at Ticken B.V. (Netherlands)
We have been working for over 10 years and they have become our long-term technology partner. Any software development, programming, or design needs we have had, Belitsoft company has always been able to handle this for us.
СEO at ElearningForce International (United States, Denmark)
They use their knowledge and skills to program the product, and then completed a series of quality assurance tests. We were working in an agile way with them. Belitsoft performed very well throughout our project. We are definitely looking at Belitsoft as a long-term partner.
Service Delivery Director at Crimson (United Kingdom)
I highly recommend Belitsoft for website design and development. We were up against a tight deadline to launch the project. The work was delivered on time and within budget! I will continue working with Belitsoft as a valued partner for our web development!
Program Administrator at UC Berkeley (United States)
We have worked with Belitsoft team over the past few years on projects involving much customized programming work. They are knowledgeable and are able to complete tasks on schedule, meeting our technical requirements. We would recommend them to anyone who is in need of custom programming work.
Main Partner at Hathway Tech (United States)
Belitsoft company is able to make changes instantly. One of our internal engineers has commented about how clean their code is. Belitsoft seems to know what they're doing, which I appreciate.
Co-Founder at HOWCAST MEDIA (United States)
It was a great pleasure working with Belitsoft. Software Development Company. New requirements and adjustments were implemented fast and precisely. We can recommend Belitsoft and are looking forward to start a follow-up project.
Deputy Head of Division at Fraunhofer FIT (Germany)
Belitsoft company has been able to provide senior developers with the skills to support back end, native mobile and web applications. We continue today to augment our existing staff with great developers from Belitsoft.
CEO at Apollo Matrix (United States)
Belitsoft company delivered dedicated development team for our products and technical specialists for our clients time to time custom development needs. We highly recommend that you use this company if you want the same benefits.
Managing Director at Key2Know A/S in 2012 (Denmark)
We approached BelITsoft with a concept, and they were able to convert it into a multi-platform software solution. Their team members are skilled, agile and attached to their work, all of which paid dividends as our software grew in complexity.
COO at Regenerative Medicine LLC (United States)
Having worked with Belitsoft as a service provider, I must say that I'm very pleased with the company's policy. Belitsoft guarantees first-class service through efficient management, great expertise, and a systematic approach to business.. I would strongly recommend Belitsoft's services to anyone wanting to get the right IT products in the right place at the right time.
CEO at Moblers (Israel)
If you are looking for a true partnership Belitsoft company might be the best choice for you. They have proven to be most reliable, polite and professional. The team managed to adapt to changing requirements and to provide me with best solutions. I strongly recommend Belisoft.
Director at ShowCast Limited (Germany)