In a small company, the duties of an instructional designer and an eLearning developer could be combined in one person. However, larger corporations prefer separating the two. Instructional designers handle the learning experience (curriculum, teaching methods, practical exercises) and the theoretical foundation. eLearning developer implements the design and ensures it works exactly as intended.
How Belitsoft Can Help
We can leverage our 10+ years of experience in eLearning development to assist you with the following:
- Learning course development. Using our knowledge of modern authoring tools, we can make a series of interesting and effective lessons for your learners.
- Custom eLearning development. Unique course development is our specialty. If you have an idea that no authoring tool can bring to life, that’s something we’ll be glad to help you with.
- Instructional design. Choosing the appropriate methodology, setting reasonable objectives, and ensuring that the course will do what you want it to do.
- Gamification. Designing a system of incentives that will keep your learners immersed and engaged.
- Serious games development. If you have an idea of a game-based learning program, we can assist you with all the technical matters from game design to coding and post-launch support. We can do it for PCs, web, and mobile platforms.
An instructional designer is a person who systematically designs, develops, and delivers instructional products and experiences, both digital and physical, in a consistent and reliable fashion toward an efficient, effective, appealing, engaging, and inspiring acquisition of knowledge. They are the person busy defining the objectives of a course, interviewing subject matter experts, planning out gamification incentives, etc.
In a digital course, an instructional designer will prepare storyboards, work with designers to set up the appropriate visual style, and explain to the developers how each function should work.
Put simply, an instructional designer lays the foundation of a course like an architect plans a building, although they might work on content.
An eLearning developer, on the other hand, is responsible for implementing the design. They will study the storyboard to locate problematic areas, for example, features that can’t be implemented with the selected tools or functionality that would overextend the budget. Then they will use one of the authoring tools and potentially some custom programming to create the learning course.
One thing they both do is working with learner feedback. An instructional designer deals with changes to the lessons and the curriculum in general, while the developer handles the technical side of the things.
This is what an instructional designer should know and be able to do:
- Learning methodology. There are different approaches to teaching things. Some of them work better on one audience than others. The instructional designer needs to know which one is the best for a given situation.
- Content creation - this includes instructional texts, tests, scripts for videos, and even serious game design. This content would be at the core of any learning experience.
- Learning science - the gut feeling is not the best justification for instructional design decisions. Valid, peer-reviewed research, however, is.
- Team Management - if an instructional designer also leads the whole development process, they need to know how to run a team and ensure efficient and quick work.
And these skills are in the purview of an eLearning developer:
- Authoring tools - knowing at least one of them is a must. Knowing several major ones (e.g. Articulate, Captivate 360, iSpring, Elucidat, etc.) is definitely great. These tools dramatically decrease the development time compared to custom programming and are often enough in and of themselves.
- User experience - knowing the principles of making good UX would help deliver better products.
- Visual content editing - sometimes, all the assets are provided by the instructional designer or a dedicated graphic designer. For all the other cases, knowing how to work with vector graphics, video editing suites, and Photoshop or Figma would be useful.
Participation in the project
We’ll describe the stages of an eLearning product development and show where an instructional designer and an eLearning developer come in.
1. Preparation Stage
Before the actual work begins, there are matters of setting objectives, budgeting, and planning. This is when an instructional designer talks to the stakeholders, determines the needs, and starts outlining the course. An eLearning developer doesn’t have anything to do at this point, so their work is not required.
2. Design Stage
The instructional designer, based on the goals and budgets, will put together a design document and a storyboard. Together with the eLearning developer, they will review it and make it more realistic. This is also the stage where the eLearning developer is given the required assets or makes them on his own.
The instructional designer’s work on the learning content begins in earnest.
3. Development Stage
This is the time where eLearning developer shines. With authoring tools (and sometimes custom programming) the course is brought to life.
An instructional designer could still prepare the content and provide it as it becomes ready. But most of the work is done by the eLearning developer.
4. Testing Stage
Both positions are involved in the process. Instructional designer watches mostly for the learning side of things: how well does the content perform, are the objectives reached, and how motivated the users are. eLearning developer is busy with the technical matters: do all the features work as intended and what needs to be fixed (if anything).
5. Post-Launch Support Stage
After the course goes live, the eLearning developer and the instructional designer can continue working on making it better. The latter could come up with new ways to improve KPIs (completion rate, knowledge retention, etc.) and the former will make them happen.
Rate this article
I expected and demanded a lot of you at Belitsoft company, but you exceeded my expectations. You acted pro-actively, challenged me at the right moments. Thanks!
CEO at Ticken B.V. (Netherlands)
We have been working for over 10 years and they have become our long-term technology partner. Any software development, programming, or design needs we have had, Belitsoft company has always been able to handle this for us.
СEO at ElearningForce International (United States, Denmark)
They use their knowledge and skills to program the product, and then completed a series of quality assurance tests. We were working in an agile way with them. Belitsoft performed very well throughout our project. We are definitely looking at Belitsoft as a long-term partner.
Service Delivery Director at Crimson (United Kingdom)
I highly recommend Belitsoft for website design and development. We were up against a tight deadline to launch the project. The work was delivered on time and within budget! I will continue working with Belitsoft as a valued partner for our web development!
Program Administrator at UC Berkeley (United States)
We have worked with Belitsoft team over the past few years on projects involving much customized programming work. They are knowledgeable and are able to complete tasks on schedule, meeting our technical requirements. We would recommend them to anyone who is in need of custom programming work.
Main Partner at Hathway Tech (United States)
Belitsoft company is able to make changes instantly. One of our internal engineers has commented about how clean their code is. Belitsoft seems to know what they're doing, which I appreciate.
Co-Founder at HOWCAST MEDIA (United States)
It was a great pleasure working with Belitsoft. Software Development Company. New requirements and adjustments were implemented fast and precisely. We can recommend Belitsoft and are looking forward to start a follow-up project.
Deputy Head of Division at Fraunhofer FIT (Germany)
Belitsoft company has been able to provide senior developers with the skills to support back end, native mobile and web applications. We continue today to augment our existing staff with great developers from Belitsoft.
CEO at Apollo Matrix (United States)
Belitsoft company delivered dedicated development team for our products and technical specialists for our clients time to time custom development needs. We highly recommend that you use this company if you want the same benefits.
Managing Director at Key2Know A/S in 2012 (Denmark)
We approached BelITsoft with a concept, and they were able to convert it into a multi-platform software solution. Their team members are skilled, agile and attached to their work, all of which paid dividends as our software grew in complexity.
COO at Regenerative Medicine LLC (United States)
Having worked with Belitsoft as a service provider, I must say that I'm very pleased with the company's policy. Belitsoft guarantees first-class service through efficient management, great expertise, and a systematic approach to business.. I would strongly recommend Belitsoft's services to anyone wanting to get the right IT products in the right place at the right time.
CEO at Moblers (Israel)
If you are looking for a true partnership Belitsoft company might be the best choice for you. They have proven to be most reliable, polite and professional. The team managed to adapt to changing requirements and to provide me with best solutions. I strongly recommend Belisoft.
Director at ShowCast Limited (Germany)